Is this something that really exists? And if so what are alternatives? My child is 4 years old
Hi Chiswick mum,
You can develop an allergy to practically anything. It is rare but possible to be allergic to toothpaste. I would start by asking your dentist for advice. If you have not already done so see your GP who may refer your child for allergy testing which hopefully will be able to detect the ingredient that is causing the allergy. Depending on what is causing the problem there are many different types of toothpaste available so it would then be a matter of looking for one which does not contain the allergen.
A number of articles mention the flavouring of the toothpaste being the main culprit – for example, mint – so finding a natural toothpaste without flavouring may help. I found an interesting article from the USA which, if you scroll down to the bottom, has some suggestions https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922711/
Dr Emma Haycraft