Can you explain what is meant by ‘young children’ when it comes to eating creamy cheeses like Brie and Camembert – we like to make summer picnics and the guidance seems to say they can’t have it. When is it okay
The advice is not to give children cheese made from unpasteurised milk because there is a risk of listeria. In most people listeriosis, which is caused by the bacteria listeria, may only have mild symptoms – for example high temperature, aches and pains, chills, nausea and vomiting and diarrhoea. However, children are more vulnerable due to a less mature immune system and to symptoms of the disease, such as diarrhoea and vomiting, can make a child seriously ill due to dehydration.
So, it’s always best to check the label and if it’s made from pasteurised milk, that’s ok or if you cook the cheese that should kill the listeria.